Jigglypuff Cosplay : The Dress

So I went to MCM london in May. Being the cleaver person I am, I didn’t think to take photos to blog about it. So wait till october and have a blog for you about the weekend. This little post will be about one of the cosplays I wore, what I learned while making it and what I might do different in the future. I’ve had to split this into two posts so expect part two in a few days.

The image at the top is Jigglypuff. She’s a cute little puff isn’t she? Thats who this Cosplay was based off. Jigglypuff. 7The idea behind the cosplay was to do a humanoid version of her. Not sure why I picked Jigglypuff, to be honest, but I certainly had a bit of fun with her. I think because its something so pink that I would never do it any other time so MCM was the perfect time to do it. I had this idea of doing a rockabilly version of her because of her curl and because in the anime she sings, then puts people to sleep as that’s her ability but she get angry and draws on people faces when that happens.

Seriously proud of this one. I know its simple but we all have to start somewhere right? Any way let’s get on with the breakdown of what I did.

The dress was probably the simplest part of it, I just bought a dress off Sammydress.com, it cost less than £10 and took about 4 weeks to arrive. It originally was a white dress that I dyed pink. The dying process was a bit tricky as it’s a synthetic material meaning I had to buy specially formulated dye to get the right colour from Amazon which cost more than the dress. It was a fair bit of guess work to get the colour right and it did come out a bit darker than I wanted but it worked.

I would have loved to have made the dress from scratch and did toy with the idea of doing so for a while but my sewing skills are certainly not up to that challenge, yet. If I was to re attempt this one, I’d spend a little more on the dress initially, to get one that’s the right colour and that fits better too. You can see in the some of the photos it doesn’t sit quite right and looses the flattering quality of most flair dresses in this style.

I did make a few modification to the dress besides dyeing it. I added a bit of white translucent fabric to the cleavage as without it there would have been slippage. That neck line was low! Also added some iron on gems in the shape of music notes on to the front of the skirt. Though I loved that bit of detail, the gems did start dropping off very quickly. Not sure if it was down the quality of glue or the fabric. In the future painting or sewing a design might be a longer lasting option.

Nearly forgot my favourite thing! The petticoat! Golly these things are so much fun to wear! No modifications or anything just the first time I wore one and look at the puff it give the skirt. Its fabulous darling! I really want to add a few rockablity dresses to my wardrobe just so I can wear more petticoats.

The last part of the outfit was the cardigan, it’s a simple white cotton shrug. I wanted it to break the pink of the dress up a little and to try to lighten the whole image. Again I didn’t really do much to this besides another iron on patch in the shape of pink music notes. Also wore it because I’m not a massive fan of my own arms so this let me hide them a bit.

Next post, Make up, Accessories & Mic!